Q: car will idle, tries to accelerate in gear, then loses power and dies

I rebuilt carb, points cap and rotor appear ok , fuel line unblocked, car will start and idle but when put in gear it won't accelerate, like it's a fuel problem, ran ok until I added trans fluid, can that be related? A mechanic suggested points and condenser, car is coming off sitting 10 years but ran ok until this issue. Only when cold start, car stalled . Had to feather gas to overcome a hesitation, now it won't accelerate in gear.

A: Hi there. Even though you recently rebuilt ...

Hi there. Even though you recently rebuilt the carburetor it sounds like that is the issue. Prior to replacing it I would first check the fuel pressure. If it is fine then the accelerator pump in the carburetor is either bad or the jetting it worn out. Either way the carburetor is what is causing this.