Q: Shift from "D" to "Manual"

I was wondering if I can shift from D to M when I'm driving at 65 plus mph on the freeway. Or do I need to be at a stop with the brake on before I can do this while using Sport mode? Will the RPMs go through the roof if I shift without braking? Will manual mode be in the gear that coincides to the speed I am going at the time that I shift? I know this sounds stupid but thought I better ask before trying this. Thank you.

Hey there. It is not unsafe to switch from Drive to "Manual" while the vehicle is in motion. You should take precaution and perform this action at a lower speed. The engine speed will increase when shifting to a lower gear, but the automatic transmission controls will not allow you to shift to a gear too low for the speed of the vehicle. Usually the system will simply disregard the request to shift to a lower gear.