Q: Hello I just replaced the distributor in my 98 blazer. I set it to 6 o-clock like its suppose to, but it is running really rough.

asked by on December 01, 2016

just replace the distribter in my 98 blazer and now its running rlly rough i put at tdc its been sitting for a couple of months thanks also when i start white smoke comes out the exhast

Hi there. It is possible that the distributor was off by one tooth. This is very common. I suggest removing the distributor, then removing the valve cover to the side that has number 1 cylinder (the valve cover that is the most forward). Crank the engine over by hand until both rocker arms are loose to the number 1 cylinder. Remove the spark plug to cylinder one and use a long thin screwdriver to put into the spark plug hole and see if the piston is at the top dead center (TDC). When the piston is at TDC, install the distributor and have the rotor point to the number 1 position on the cap as if it was mounted. It is best to mark the base of the distributor to align up the rotor, then you can put the cap on. Then put the spark plug back on and put the valve cover back on. The engine should start up with no issues. If you need further assistance with setting your ignition system, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.