Q: My car stalled, and wont go into drive without dying

My storm was having slow acceleration, and while stopped at a stop sign, just completely stalled out. The engine will turn over and start when I apply throttle, but it has a different exhaust pitch, and shakes pretty bad. As soon as I put the car in Drive or reverse, it sputters and dies out. I am thinking fuel pump, or fuel pump relay. I dont hear the pump prime itself when the key is turned to ON. Thanks in advance! Chris

Hey there. The problem sounds like the engine is being starved of fuel. The fuel pump may be coming on but not producing enough pressure. I would recommend having the engine tested for the fuel pressure loss and see if the vehicle needs a fuel pump and filter. A qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the stalling problem and pinpoint needed repairs if you need further help.