Q: I have a 2011 Hyundai sonata and the key is stuck in the acc position. I can turn it on and start it but I can not get it to turn

asked by on September 15, 2017

I have a 2011 Hyundai sonata and the key is stuck in the acc position. I can turn it on and start it but I can not get it to turn to the off position to get the key out. The gear shift is in park and the dash also says it is in park. I have took it out of park and put it in drive and back into park and I still can not get the key to go to the off position. This is the 5th time it has happened and I am not willing to pay $600+ to have the dealership look at it and tell me again that nothing is wrong with it because it just so happened for the key to get unstuck at that moment.

It sounds like you may have an ignition switch that is worn out. Inside the ignition switch is a series of small metal tumblers. After hundreds or thousands of times of inserting the key and turning it and then taking it back out, these tumblers may sometimes break or simply wear out. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at the vehicle to determine what may be causing this to happen.