Power steering fluid shoots out of cap when turned off an...

Q: Power steering fluid shoots out of cap when turned off and wheel is not turned?

asked by on July 07, 2017

All air was bled out of the system due to noise when turned. Fluid is at correct level. When the engine is started, the fluid is sucked out of the reservoir. Added fluid to correct level again. When turned off. the fluid shoots out the cap. The steering wheel was not turned. I have never seen a condition like this? I repeated and the same thing happened again.

You may have an air leak at the pump and thus air is being continually drawn in, and building enough residual pressure that must be relieved once you shut the p/s off. The pressure is too much to bleed of gradually and has to go somewhere and that is through the cap. If the fluid level was low due to a leak, that would tend to substantiate that air is getting drawn in. The whole system will have to be gone over carefully and to get that accomplished the recommended service is a power steering leak diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.