Q: When moving the shifter in reverse, it won't engage

When the shifter is moved to reverse position, it won’t engage. I have seen in forums that this is a common problem with this make/model, but never found any solutions. I keep having to push my car backwards when needing it to go in reverse. I was told that the problem might be the shift motor, but not sure. Can you tell me what is causing this problem?

A: Yes, your description is that of a common p...

Yes, your description is that of a common problem. The issue usually results from a clutch being out of adjustment. The adjustment that you likely need is known as the clutch actuator adjustment.

To adjust the clutch, the technician must loosen the three bolts from the clutch actuator. Do not remove them just loosen them. The mounting surface is slotted and all you have to do usually is move the clutch actuator about one-eighth of an inch toward the driver's side of the vehicle and tighten down the actuator.

This is a common procedure performed on many smart cars and it is the number one fix for the issues you are describing. If you decide to get this fixed, a professional technician, such as YourMechanic, will easily be able to perform this clutch adjustment.

Recommended services
Get a Quote