Q: Check engine light came on & car drove roughly

My car is due for an oil change, but I have been regularly keeping it maintenance. I haven't had any problems with it, but today while on the interstate, the MIL (check engine) light came on. Now my car is running rough as if it wants to stall. I did make it home and I don't think I'll drive it until it’s fixed. I have learned that this has to do with the Engine Control System. Should I go to a KIA dealership for repairs or can I go to an ASE certified auto repair shop that works on foreign cars.

A: You are absolutely correct. The MIL came on...

You are absolutely correct. The MIL came on as a result of a fault in the engine computer. Because your vehicle is newer than 1996, then it has OBD-2 diagnostics which will allow any scan tool with OBD-2 capabilities to talk to the engine computer to read and resolve faults.

While your local Kia dealer specializes on Kia’s, they are generally more expensive than an ASE mechanic who can also diagnose this issue. If the vehicle is hard to drive because of the engine, a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the equipment and expertise to diagnose your rough running issue and let you know what repairs need to be done.