Q: Engine fan continues to run, Check Engine light on, and coolant leaks.

asked by on December 18, 2015

Engine fan comes on about eight seconds after the car starts and won't go off. The temperature gauge stopped working and the Check Engine light came on. Coolant is also leaking from the engine. I changed the coolant sensor, but nothing changed.

The two engine fans are controlled by separate relays that are turned on by a powertrain control unit. The system is controlled through the body control module that signals the powertrain control unit. The body control module gets signals from the cooling system and the air conditioning to turn the fan on and off. The complete system would need to be checked but I would recommend you get the coolant leak checked first by a certified technician. They would need to scan for codes, pressure test the cooling system and check the cooling system sensor or wiring problems.