Q: Strange electrical issues that seem unrelated

Hello, with our Explorer, there are a few problems I am trying to find the source of. It sputters and will stall out when we have the headlights and left blinker on at the same time, but the high-beams do cause a problem, nor does the right blinker. Everything works fine independently. Additionally, though maybe completely separate, our 4X4 and fuel gauge no longer works. We did have a salvaged cluster installed a few years ago but these issues didn't coincide with that part replacement. I was thinking maybe the GEM or a wiring short somewhere. I just got me hands on a wiring diagram book that the dealership let me borrow, but I am not really sure how to decipher/utilize it at this point. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Dan

A: Hello. It does sound like you have a lot of...

Hello. It does sound like you have a lot of electrical issues that may or may not be related. In order to find where the problems are, the circuits will need to be tested with a voltage meter.

It can actually be as simple as a positive battery cable that his internal resistance or it may be a problem with the GEM or a bad ground or connection. I have seen the ground connections from the negative battery become loose and corroded as well as the grounds on the engine.

All of these would need to be inspected in order to know for sure where the issue is coming from. If you are planning on having these electrical issues looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the electrical issues and pinpoint the needed repairs.