Q: Battery and Jerking

asked by on February 11, 2017

Just had the car in for services a week ago and they stated we needed a new timing belt. Now we have a problem with the car with it's battery light on for a day and then the next day the car started Jerking while driving both in forward and reverse. This is at lower speeds have not tried to drive any higher than 30 miles an hour. And I should add the car was taken in for it's scheduled maintenance, oil change and check. Thank you

Hello There, The battery light indicates that you have either a weak battery or something potentially wrong with the charging system such as a bad alternator or a faulty voltage regulator. As you may know, the alternator is responsible for charging the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail.

The jerking reaction you describe may be a result of low transmission fluid. I would recommend having this checked as well. This can happen when there is insufficient fluid in the transmission which causes an inability for the transmission to develop the required hydraulic pressure needed in order to shift gears. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your car.