Q: I have a 2000 lexus es300 and the engine light is flashing non stop, there is a rotten egg smell, white smoke coming from tailpipe

I bought this car used as is and on my way home the engine light came on and the whole car started shaking and when I stopped the rpms would jump and try and jerk the car as if I were giving it gas. When I got home I discovered an oil leak from my front valve cover leaking down around and past the exhaust manifold and i also found a power steering fluid leak and ripped vacuum hose. I fixed the hose issue and the jerks weren't nearly as bad but the shaking got worse. Without fixing either leaks I attempted to drive the car to the store just a few miles away and that's when things got bad. I came straight back home and found the cat converter connected to my front exhaust manifold was GLOWING red and since then im to afraid to even drive around the corner in it and everytime I start the car there is popping sounds coming from engine and exhaust, very harsh shaking/vibrating thruout, white smoke from tailpipe, a rotten egg smell, and very low rpms (200-400) when car is dropped into gear

A: It sounds like the catalytic converter has ...

It sounds like the catalytic converter has failed. When the catalyst material inside the converter either becomes plugged, or breaks loose and doesn’t allow for exhaust to flow, it causes friction between the escaping exhaust gas and the converter body. This friction causes heat, and is why the converter begins to get so hot. The sulfur smell that you are getting is almost exclusively a result of a failed catalytic converter. Continuing to drive the vehicle with a clogged converter can lead to severe engine damage, and can also be a fire risk, as the extreme heat created can cause other components to ignite. If you need some help with repairing the vehicle, you will need to consult a certified mechanic, like those available at YourMechanic.com.