Q: I had a really weird thing happen to me the other day. I shipped my car on a barge to our neighboring island here in Hawaii

I shipped my car on a barge and when it arrived,'Young Brothers' had to fork lift my vehicle off the barge because it was not starting. It wasn't the battery because the lights would turn on, it wasn't out of gas, it simply wouldn't turn on. They were able to turn the key but nothing would happen. I found that a lot c-class' can have this problem due to a broken steering column or something. I guess it can just happen over time. I'm just wondering if there's any possible way for someone to have broken it on the barge from being reckless though. The timing just seems really weird to me, and the 'Young Brothers' claims department manager did tell me that they're really quick at loading and unloading the vehicles and accidents happen quite often. If anyone knows if there's a possibility that some dude on the barge could be the reason for it breaking due to being careless please spread your knowledge with me because I'd love to fight this and have them pay my $1,800 bill.

The only way to determine if negligence is the cause of the no start condition is to determine the cause of the no start. Once the cause is found, it will be clear if negligence is even a "potential" cause. Typically, barge or no barge, there is a mundane reason for the no start. For example, be sure the engine immobilizer system is not activated thus preventing the car from starting. If the engine is not turning over (cranking) with the key held in the start position, that means that there is a problem in the starter and/or the starter circuit. If there is no starter motor operation at all with the key held in the "start" position, the procedure is to test for power AND voltage drops to the starter motor/solenoid. If there is no power, or a large voltage drop is measured, then the electrical circuit supplying the starter motor has a fault. The circuit that will have to be tested begins at the battery and includes grounds, wiring (some of which is very heavy cabling), fuses, relays, the ignition switch, neutral start switch, and terminations. On the other hand, if the starter is getting power with the key in the "start" position, and yet the starter doesn’t work, then the starter is replaced. Note that starters can and sometimes do develop intermittent faults due to bad spots on the armature. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this no start issue resolved for you promptly. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.

3. I had a really weird thing happen to me the other day. I shipped my car on a barge to our neighboring island here in Hawaii