Clutch slipping while driving idling clutches 2002 sl1 sa...

Q: Clutch slipping while driving

asked by on February 05, 2016

I am having a few issues with my car. The clutch is slipping while I'm driving, and sometimes it slips out of fifth gear, and I have to go back to third gear to get back to fifth gear again. Also, my AC is not working and my car idles really high.

Hi. Clutches usually only last about 150,000 miles and need to be replaced. If your experiencing the clutch slipping and it has over 100,000 miles, it probably needs replacing. As far as it slipping out of 5th gear, you may need to have the cable adjusted. The synchronizer may also be worn out causing it to pop out of gear. The most common problem with the car idling high would probably be a vacuum leak at the intake manifold. The ac not working may possibly be that it needs re-charging. A technician from your mechanic can charge your ac and fix your vacuum leak. I recommend you have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the shifting problem, inspect for high idle issue, and also diagnose why the AC is not working properly.