Q: I believe my alternator has gone out.

On 6/15/15 my car was diagnosed as needing a tensioner and pulley system replacement. When I left that shop after I spent $250 and still having to take it back a second day because my car still sounded as if it need the same work done. I don't believe they fixed anything. I drove to Cincinnati, OH. on 6/20, and drove it back to Chicago on 7/5. My battery light came on the next day, then on the 8th my car began to stall about 1mi away from my house and eventually died once I made it home. It won't start back up, and I don't know what's wrong. Can you help me?

I have seen many of these vehicle alternators go out and stop charging. They will get noisy and possibly seize up some of the times. Since the battery light came on indicating the system is not charging, and the voltage dropped to below what the engine needs to keep running, this is why it will not crank. Have the battery charged and the alternator tested. If it tests bad, replace the alternator. If you would like the system to be tested for you, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your starting issue and assist with the right repair.

3. I believe my alternator has gone out.