Q: I am going to attempt to change the wheel bearing or hub asssmbly on my car.

My car has been runnnng very loud from the inside for about 4 months now. A mechanic told me it was my wheel bearings. I looked myself a saw that it makes a grinding noise when I spin the wheel and the tire is bald on one side and good on the other. Also, some brake light has been on in my car for over a year and I haven't thought anything of it. Would changing the hub assembly turn the light off? Or should I replace the abs sensor too? Also, should I replace just the bearing or the whole hub assembly?

Thank you! Brock

This is a repair that is going to take require some specialty tools and techniques to complete correctly. It would be highly advisable to have a certified mechanic perform this or possibly assist you with the repairs, especially if the bearing has been bad for this long. The compromised bearing may have caused damage to the hub and need to be replaced anyway. Plus, depending on how much play there is in the assembly, it may have damaged the ABS sensor. Without taking a look at the vehicle, it would be impossible to say exactly what it is going to take to fix the issue. If you need help identifying and repairing the issue including the possible replacement of the wheel bearings, an expert from YourMechanic can come to your home, or place of business, to assist you.

3. I am going to attempt to change the wheel bearing or hub asssmbly on my car.