Q: How long should my brake pads last

I got my front brake pads replaced in May this year, my rear pads still had use. I returned to same auto shop today in Oct, so 5 months and 7,734 miles later, he tells me my front brakes have 40% left and my rear 5%. I'm very mindful about not breaking hard so that cannot be a major factor. I read that pads last at least 25000 miles. At this rate, my pads need to be replaced at 15000 miles. Are you able to tell me what the problem may be please?

A: This is definitely not normal and should be...

This is definitely not normal and should be looked at more closely to get a second opinion. You are correct that your brake pads should last at least 25,000 miles or more in some cases. It all depends on the type of car and driving habits of the owner. It may be possible that your pads have been hung up on the brake rotors, causing them to drag against the rotors constantly, wearing them down much faster. However this is usually very noticeable when you’re driving and may have cased other issues with the rotors in the process. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to inspect your brakes to determine why they’re wearing so quickly.