Q: My car shakes and shakes even more when i turn on my AC

My car has been shaking and when i turn on my AC it shakes even more. I would like to know why because i thought it was due to the spark plugs and the coil packs which i changed and it's still shaking. Sometimes the car would stop working and i have to turn it off and restart it in order to work.

Shaking with the a/c on can be caused by a number of reasons. The a/c compressor puts a lot of strain on the engine because the compressor is similar to being a small engine itself. When the a/c is switched on, the engine control unit should trigger components such as the idle speed/air control motor, to increase the idle slightly to compensate for the extra drag of the compressor. If that does not happen, then the additional drag can cause a low,shaky idle and even cause the engine to stall. Stalling can happen more often with the a/c on and turning the steering wheel as the power steering pump also creates drag on the engine. Excessive shaking can also be attributed to weak/broken motor mounts as well.

Have a certified technician look into the engine shake to isolate the exact cause.

3. My car shakes and shakes even more when i turn on my AC