Q: Steering wheel gets stuck left, grinding noise - 2004 Dodge Ram 2500

The steering wheel in my truck started to stick lately. It occurs when I turn it to the left. Also, if I'm making a hard turn to the left, the steering wheel starts making grinding noise. When it is turned to the left, it becomes very difficult to turn it back to the straight position or to the right. It would get back to the normal position suddenly by releasing itself. I haven't found anything to be rubbing. The right side ball joints were replaced. The front end has been aligned recently. I checked the suspension, tires and wheels. What might cause this?

A: Hello. It sounds like the steering gear box...

Hello. It sounds like the steering gear box and/or the power steering pump is going bad. The steering gear box is what is allowing the wheels to turn left and right when using the steering wheel. There are gears and other moving parts in the gear box that can get binded up or get stuck. The power steering pump also has internal parts that wear out and may make steering difficult. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the steering system and make the necessary repairs.