Q: My car makes a whirring noise and the check engine light is on with codes P0741 and P0700

My car has started making a whirring noise when I accelerate. It doesn't happen during a specific gear or speed, and it will stop if I accelerate harder. The check engine light comes on when this happens. I got the codes P0741 and P0700, which I think is related to the torque converter. I haven't noticed any slippage or change in performance, just the noise. The car is a 2.2L Eco Tech with a sealed transmission. I am mechanically inclined; is this something I can fix on my own?

The noise you are hearing is the transmission is having problems internally with the torque convertor clutch and valve body. The code P0741 has a long list of possible problems all pertaining with the torque convertor and valve body of the transmission. Your transmission will need to be diagnosed by a qualified transmission technician, to see if the transmission needs the transmission overhauled or just the valve body overhauled. The most common repair is a complete overhaul since most transmission shops cannot warranty just doing the one part and not overhauling the complete transmission.

• My car makes a whirring noise and the check engine light is on with codes P0741 and P0700