Q: My car makes a whirring noise and the check engine light is on with codes P0741 and P0700

My car has started making a whirring noise when I accelerate. It doesn't happen during a specific gear or speed, and it will stop if I accelerate harder. The check engine light comes on when this happens. I got the codes P0741 and P0700, which I think is related to the torque converter. I haven't noticed any slippage or change in performance, just the noise. The car is a 2.2L Eco Tech with a sealed transmission. I am mechanically inclined; is this something I can fix on my own?

A: The noise you are hearing is the transmissi...

The noise you are hearing is the transmission is having problems internally with the torque convertor clutch and valve body. The code P0741 has a long list of possible problems all pertaining with the torque convertor and valve body of the transmission. Your transmission will need to be diagnosed by a qualified transmission technician, to see if the transmission needs the transmission overhauled or just the valve body overhauled. The most common repair is a complete overhaul since most transmission shops cannot warranty just doing the one part and not overhauling the complete transmission.