Q: Car won't start, check engine light is out but other lights are on, got new control and immobilizer but the problem remains.

First it didn't start and there was a problem within the coding but the check engine was working, then the control was down and the check engine wouldn't pop when we first start the car and of course the car wouldn't start. We got a new control and immobilizer and coil, but the problem is still the same. We found out that the dynamo was burnt so we cut it off and checked the cables and it is clear. What can be the problem forbidding the control from running and the check engine from turning on?

Hi, thanks for writing in. It is possible that your check engine light bulb could be out. I would recommend having a qualified professional remove your instrument cluster to determine if the bulb for the check engine light has failed. If the bulb has failed, I would recommend having it replaced and see if your results change. If the bulb is not faulty, it is possible that something was installed incorrectly during the most recent repair. I would recommend retracing your steps to determine if any steps were skipped over or done improperly. This will help to determine the cause of why the check engine light will not work. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect your electrical system for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

• Car won't start, check engine light is out but other lights are on, got new control and immobilizer but the problem remains.