Q: How do you start the engine with the smart key system?

How do you start the engine with the smart key system?

If your car is equipped with the smart key system, it means that you don’t have to use a key to crank the car. You have a start/stop switch. Using it for the first few times can be a little different, so here’s what you need to know to get your engine running:

1. Make sure the parking brake is on.

2. Make sure the car is in park.

3. Make sure you have the electronic key in your pocket.

4. Press the brake pedal.

5. Watch for the light on the start/stop switch to change to green. You can’t crank the engine if this doesn’t happen.

6. Press the start/stop button. It may take up to 30 seconds for the engine to actually start.

Tips

• Keep your foot on the brake the entire time. Don’t let off until the engine is cranked and you put the car in drive.

• The engine can be cranked with the start/stop switch in all positions.

3. How do you start the engine with the smart key system?