Q: Truck shakes, sputters, and loses power when accelerating.

Truck idles okay, but when accelerating it starts to shake and sputter before losing power. When I decelerate, the truck wants to cut off, but returns to normal idle. I checked the vehicle when I got home and found the AC belt was broken. Replaced it but the problem persists. I did notice a slight stutter when going through the gears before the belt broke.

A: Hello, I would enlist the help of a mechani...

Hello, I would enlist the help of a mechanic to inspect the engine because this problem could be a number of things. I would do a tune up on it’s spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter and then go from there. It sounds like it could possibly be a fuel filter. A technician can check fuel pressure with a gauge. We also need to determine if it does this when the car is sitting still or just when it is driving down the road to rule out transmission problems. A technician can also check for a clogged catalytic converter. The car can lose power when this is clogged.