Q: Randomly, car stutters, idles, stalls, and won't start

asked by on July 26, 2016

A few weeks ago, my car was stuttering at low speeds. Recently, while my car was idling, the RPMs dropped below 1,000 rpm. I started revving the engine to prevent stalling. Then it happened again and it stalled. I tried to start the car and it would only crank but never turn over. Then I tried it again and it started. I was able to drive for a while with no problems, but when I got on the interstate, there was a hesitation that I could feel. I’m beginning to think this might be a problem with the ignition coil or the ignition coil module. Do you agree or is it something else?

The Volvo 850’s are notorious for having main fuel relay failures due to burned contacts in the relay. This will cause intermittent fuel delivery issues which result in stalling, shuddering, and no-starts. This is an inexpensive part to replace, and probably should be if it has not been replaced recently to see if corrects the issue. Other possibilities could be unmetered air leaks, ignition issues, or air/fuel issues. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the equipment and expertise diagnose and correct the stalling issue.