Q: Car stalls and P0401 insufficient egr flow

When in Drive, my car tries to stall and sometimes does stall and tries to move forward. It stops once it has warmed up and driven several miles. There was a P0401 insufficient egr flow, but I removed the egr valve and it’s cleaned, plus also checked the intake manifold & it’s clean and we replaced the vacuum hose. Then I ran a wire down the egr pipe and it’s clear too. When this problem first happened, I thought it was the tranny and I went to an auto store where they told me the car was getting P0401 and that it should be fixed. Tried a 2nd auto store and they said the same, to get it fixed. More details for you: Within a month, after removing the fuel injection body, I cleaned out as I got a code for the position sensor on that - solved that. I used a synthetic oil to perform an oil change, as I’ve done other times too. Also a month ago, I replaced the spark plugs. I’m out of a job right now, so I need to find a way to fix this myself so I don’t have to ride my motorcycle in 100 degrees to go to job interviews. Please, can you tell me how to fix this stalling problem?

The P0401 code is for low EGR flow, but would not be the cause of the stalling if the flow was too low. You also state the problem is when the engine is cold and goes away after it is warm. The EGR system does not start working until the engine is warm.

It sounds like you are having a problem with the transmission or torque convertor. Have a mechanic that knows transmissions check the vehicle when it is cold to see if the engine or transmission is the problem. Sometimes the transmission seals will leak internally causing these problems until the fluid warms up. If you want to have this checked, a technician can diagnose your Check Engine Light and stalling issue thoroughly to determine what repairs will resolve your car problems.

3. Car stalls and P0401 insufficient egr flow