Q: How do you correctly install a car seat?

How do you correctly install a car seat?

Protecting your most precious cargo is vital, and that means making sure that your car seat is correctly installed every single time. You should also double check it before putting your child in the car seat, even if it hasn’t been removed. Here’s how to install one the right way:

Refer to the manufacturer’s directions for specific information for your actual model.

1. Place the car seat in the back seat of the car.

2. Use the correct seat belt and buckle (all seating positions in the Fusion have a shoulder and lap belt combination).

3. Secure the seat according to the manufacturer’s directions. Otherwise:

• Route the belt (both lap and shoulder portions) through the back of the seat.

• Make sure the belt isn’t twisted.

1. Slide the buckle into the latch.

2. Listen for it to “click.”

3. Pull on it to test it.

4. Make sure the seat belt is in Automatic Locking mode.

5. Let the belt retract and then double check that it is locked.

6. Check that the car seat is secure.

7. Attach the tether if you’re using one (the anchors are located above the seatbacks).

Tip

If using a car seat with lower tethers, attach them to the lower anchor points in the back seat according to the manufacturer’s directions.