Q: We put a new camshaft sensor on my 2004 dodge stratus sxt. Now the car stalls. What could cause this?

Check to see if any OBD-II trouble codes have set as if they have, they will be important clues to what is going on. Stalling has many causes apart from a faulty camshaft position sensor or faulty camshaft position sensor circuit. If you do suspect the sensor (or the wire harness), though, the only way to determine if the sensor is functioning or not is through use of an automotive scope or advanced scan tool. You can check to see if the wiring is intact and there is continuity. Basically, look at the plug contacts and be sure they are clean and appear to be tight. You can test the wiring back to the PCM for wire breaks or high resistance, using a volt ohmmeter. All of this can be done more efficiently with a scan tool though. If the sensor checks out OK (and reads good on a scope), and the wiring is good, basically, all other causes of stalling have to then be diagnosed and they are pretty numerous. YourMechanic does offer a stalling diagnostic if you want to avail yourself of that. If you request that service a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will get this problem resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. We put a new camshaft sensor on my 2004 dodge stratus sxt. Now the car stalls. What could cause this?