Q: How do you check the engine oil?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do you check the engine oil?

Checking the engine oil is a vital part of being a responsible car owner. Even if you’re incredibly punctual about having your car serviced, you still need to keep an eye on the oil level to prevent potentially damaging the engine. Here’s how to do it:

1. Park the car on a level surface.

2. Turn the engine off (after letting it get to operating temperature).

3. Wait a few minutes to let the oil drain back into the pan.

4. Open the hood.

5. Locate the oil dipstick.

6. Pull it out, wipe it off and reinsert it in the tube.

7. Pull it out again and check the oil level. It should be between the minimum and maximum marks.

8. If the oil level is below the minimum mark, add a half a quart of oil. Recheck the level and add as need until it get to the middle of the range.

Tip

Don’t add oil if the level is at the minimum line or between the minimum and maximum lines.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr