Q: My 2003 Town Car is showing that the 8th cylinder is misfiring. Do I have to replace the ignition coil as a result?

asked by on October 07, 2016

The engine is hesitating on acceleration and the check engine light has come on. I had it checked by Auto Zone and the code indicated that the 8th cylinder is misfiring.

Engine is misfiring Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi, thanks for writing in. A misfire code only says the cylinder is not contributing to power in the motor. You may have no or low compression, a bad coil, injector problems, or a plug problem. Have the coil removed and swap it with cylinder to see if misfire moves to the other cylinder. This is a simple test to see if the coil is bad if you do not have a spark tester. Or just use a spark tester and replace the coil if it is not working. You may need to clean the injectors and clean the combustion chambers of carbon build up on valves. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.