Q: My car idles roughly and wants to die when I give it gas what could this be?

asked by on August 16, 2016

My car will hesitate to start but when does will continuously idle roughly wants to die when I give it gas will rev up if I it at a certain point but will bog out as soon as I let go of gas but does not die I have had it floored and won't go anywhere but when the pedal is about halfway push down will start to rev up but goes in and out but will still bog out when I let go of pedal.

With this kind of engine issue, I would imagine that your Check Engine Light is on, indicating that the built in diagnostics have logged and error and a diagnostic trouble code. It will be important to know these codes to pinpoint the exact component that is failing. It could be caused by a faulty mass airflow meter, throttle position sensor, it could also be a fuel delivery issue or timing issue. I suggest having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, determine the exact cause of your rough idle concern.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr