Q: How do I remove the gear shifter to replace the neutral safety switch

The ignition when you turn it off won't go past the accesoies position even if car is in park on in a 2014 Chevy captiva

Hello. In order to remove the shifter you will have to remove the vehicle’s shift knob and disassemble the vehicle’s interior. From the symptoms you describe, however, it would appear that your vehicle may be experiencing a different issue, perhaps with ignition switch or lock cylinder or ignition switch. A broken or worn ignition switch may no longer function correctly when the key is inserted, which cause symptoms similar to those that you are experiencing. The same can also be caused by a bad or damaged key, if it is unable to properly unlock the mechanism inside of the cylinder. In most cases a faulty neutral safety switch will cause problems with putting the vehicle into gear, however there are some cases where it may affect the operation of the lock cylinder, as they are also wired together. Another thing to check would be the vehicle’s stop light switch, as this is also tied into the vehicle’s shifting and starting systems. If you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to determine what may be causing your ignition malfunctions.