Q: Car stalled in high water

My car got stuck in high water and stalled out. The battery turns on, but the car won't start.

Hopefully, its just the starter that is faulty. If the engine did suck in water it may be hydro-locked. You may remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand to remove the water. Worst case scenario is that the engine could have been damaged trying to compress the water. Higher engine RPM’s can suck in water and may cause bent rods or a cracked block. The engine needs to be inspected and water evacuated from the cylinders. Then the mechanical condition of the engine needs to be assessed. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, who will be able to get water out of the combustion chambers and access the mechanical condition of the engine. Depending on your insurance coverage you may be able to get them to cover any recommended repairs.

3. Car stalled in high water