Q: How do I properly secure a car seat in the rear seat?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do I properly secure a car seat in the rear seat?

Car seats or booster seats meant for restraining children are either secured via the LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) system compatible anchors or by using the vehicle’s seat belts to secure the seat. Here are a few steps to ensure your car seat is installed into the rear seats of your vehicle safely and securely:

1. Put the car seat on the center of the vehicle’s seat and make sure it rests in a natural, level position.

2. Carefully read the manual to your car seat to ensure that you know how the seat belt should be properly looped through the child restraint and whether or not the seat needs to be tethered at the top to be secured.

3. Loop the lap and shoulder belts through the car seat and fasten the latch plate into the seat belt buckle. After it is secured, pull the shoulder belt all of the way out and then let it retract, as this will

lock the belt in place. Push down on the car seat and pull on the shoulder bet to remove slack.

1. If the seat needs a top tether, then locate the top tether anchors either on the tops of the passenger seat or against the rear panel (regular cab only).
  • If using the seatback-mounted tether anchors, loop the tether(s) through both the tether anchor on the seat the car seat is secured into and the center tether anchor.

• If using a tether anchor mounted onto the rear panel, then the tether needs to be uncovered and the tether(s) coming from the seat must not stretch over the headrest.

Tips

• To check the car seat once installed, grab ahold of it and move it back and forth. If it moves more than an inch in any direction, it needs to be secured further or re-installed.

• Child restraints cannot be mounted in the center passenger seating positions for safety reasons.