Q: hood safety latch won't open

asked by on June 06, 2016

I can pop the hood using the handle inside the car but the plastic pull tab to fully release the hood at the front of the car won't work, it seems to be loose/broken. How can I open the hood without the safety release working?

Hello there, this is not an uncommon occurrence as vehicles age and the hood has been opened many times. The cable can become weak at the hood latch, or the pull tab on the hood latch has become disconnected and won’t open the hood. The most likely cause of this would be a failing latch assembly.

I would not release the hood at this point, as it most likely will not shut properly with the latch acting up. If you decide to get this fixed, a qualified technician from YourMechanic can properly diagnose and repair your hood latch at your own convenience.