Q: 2001 Mercedes Benz E500 will not crank or start

My car cranked over, as if it did want to start, but then 3 seconds later, died. Now it won’t crank at all. The radio and all the dash lights come on, but the engine isn’t even trying to crank. The steering wheel is unlocked and I heard the fuel pump come on. What should I do and what is causing this?

A: It sounds like your Mercedes Benz E500 may ...

It sounds like your Mercedes Benz E500 may have a starter issue. If everything works as far as the radio and lights go, the battery is most likely performing as it should. If the battery is okay and the starter will not crank when the key is turned or the push button start is pressed, the starter is the most likely cause.

I would recommend having your starter checked by a certified technician with a digital multimeter. This will let you know if the starter is actually receiving power from the battery. If 12 volts is read at the starter when the vehicles key is being turned, the starter is faulty. If no power from the battery is reaching the starter, the wiring from the battery to the starter is most likely the cause of the issue. If you need help, a certified technician from YourMechanic can diagnose your starting issue and replace the starter if necessary.