Q: Loud whine from the front of the engine, and has no power from my turbo. It also idles very high around 2000 rpm.

asked by on March 16, 2017

I've been having strange problems with it. It started by just losing power upon acceleration. Nothing major, no codes and I was out of town for work at the time so I took it easy until I got home. Well on my drive back to my town it was losing power like CRAZY and the service light came on. I'm talking maxing out at 65ish miles and hour. motor wasn't getting hot, no shifting issues nothing except no power. I assumed it was the turbo and maybe there was a leak somewhere. but to be safe I had it towed the rest of the way.

I got home, checked the code and it was P0068. I checked for leaks with propane and couldn't find anything. Then I cleaned the MAF, put a new air filter in, checked the throttle body, and I even check the turbo for any damage or play and nothing. I cleared the code and it drove perfectly for about 10 minutes and once I hit 3k rpm the service engine light came on and I lost most of my power again except this time it was idling at 2000rpm and shutting off rough

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Check the hose from the MAF sensor to the throttle body and see if there is a leak or if the hose clamps are loose. This will produce a vacuum leak before the intake and make the engine run different than normal. If there is no vacuum leaks, then the MAP sensor could be corroded or have failed. There also could be an electrical harness issue with a break in the wiring from the MAF or the MAP sensor. If you need further assistance with your engine idle being higher than normal, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr