Q: High Pitched Squealing

Hello, I have been having some squeaking coming from my belt when slowing down and idling so I checked my belt and it was looking old/cracking. I replaced the serpentine belt and now my truck is constantly emitting a high-pitched squeal and gets loudest when accelerating. I opened the hood a put a bit of water on the belt and the sound stops for about 5 seconds. I did some research and it says, "if your belt is squeaking and stops when water is put on it then you need to replace your belt or you have a belt misalignment." Well I just replaced my belt and upon inspection I do not see an obvious misalignment. If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it, the squealing is driving me nuts to the point where I may just take it to a mechanic to stop it, but I would rather not spend that amount of money.

Hi there. The old wives tale of putting water on a serpentine belt actually is true. The water creates a temporary shift in weight distribution and can reduce the squealing noise. My suspicion is that your belt is probably fine, but the pulley’s are damaged and need to be replaced. Typically a professional mechanic will recommend replacing the pulley’s the same time you complete the belt replacement. This significantly reduces the possibility of alignment issues. I would recommend not taking your car to a mechanic, but have the mechanic come to you. Have one of our professional mobile mechanics complete a car is making a noise inspection first. This will allow them to identify the source of the noise and recommend a repair.

3. High Pitched Squealing