Q: Q: High idle

Description of Problem: I have a 2000 Saturn SL2 with 100,000 miles and a transmission with 90,000 miles that got replaced 6 months ago. The idle for the car is about 1200 rpm and it likes to buck and stay in a high gear.

The most common cause for this is a vacuum leak somewhere. Lift the hood and listen for a hissing sound coming from the engine. You can also use an aerosol spray, like brake cleaner, or WD40, to lightly spray a small area at a time, in very short bursts, and listen for the idle speed to change. Just be aware that these sprays can be extremely flammable and can cause a fire if sprayed into places that can cause it to ignite. If you need help having this taken care of a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the high idle and assist with proper adjustments.

3. Q: High idle