Q: Hi I have a chrysler 300 and every time I use the air conditioner it starts to overheat

asked by on August 12, 2017

My chrysler 300 is overheating when I use the air conditioner

When in use, the a/c system places an added load on the engine. You probably have a marginal cooling system, that is there is some deficiency, and the deficiency is becoming apparent as overheating when the engine has that additional load from the a/c. Be sure not to drive the car if it is overheating because overheating can warp the cylinder head and/or engine block causing costly damage. The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level (including that due to leaks), a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket, poor engine running condition or exhaust blockages can also cause overheating. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.