Q: Car smoking and won't go into reverse without stalling.

I can start the car, however, when I put it in reverse, the car shuts down. It also smokes and the Check Engine light comes on.

I would ask for help from a mechanic to check the code that is turning on the check engine light. The code in the computer will give the mechanic a starting point for his diagnosis. There are many reasons why a check engine light could come on. There could be a bad sensor on your engine. The mechanic should have the necessary diagnostic tools to determine what is causing the problem with your vehicle.

3. Car smoking and won't go into reverse without stalling.