Q: Hi, I got into a car accident with my bmw e36 and nothing but a dent in the middle of the grilles. Car would start but wouldn't mo

asked by on December 04, 2016

Hi, I got into a car accident with my bmw e36 and nothing but a dent in the middle of the grilles. Car would start but wouldn't move and the brakes weren't working causing the car to roll back so I had to pop the e brake to get it to stop. What's the issue? Is it fixable? If so, is it worth it ?

Brakes, Steering and Suspension Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. From what you describe it sounds as if your vehicle may be experiencing more than one issue. Brakes not functioning are usually caused by serious issues with the brake system. If they are not functioning at all then that may be a sign that the hydraulic brake system has been compromised, perhaps due to a leak. If there does not appear to be any external leaks, the same could be caused by a faulty brake master cylinder. A car that will not move can be caused by many things. If it will not go into gear then that could signal potential transmission or computer issues, if it does go into gear but can’t move then that could signal the same, as well as drivetrain, suspension and even steering. If the vehicle was recently in a collision it may very well be possible that some sort of damage has occurred somewhere that is causing these issues. As the vehicle is basically undriveable without brakes, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose what may be causing your problems.