Q: Having problems with clutch

Over the last few weeks, I have found that when the car is warmed up, I have trouble shifting between gears. But, this is an intermittent problem. While the car is in motion, shifting gears is smooth; however, trying to put the car into gear from a standstill gets difficult. There is no slippage, no whining, grinding or clunking. I have replaced the transmission fluid. The clutch fluid level is okay. There are no leaks that I have found either. I finally took it in and the mechanic, simply by test driving it, told me that I need a new clutch pack. I also visited transmission shops, as well as a number of independent auto mechanics, and they tell me the problem is of a hydraulic nature. Do I need a new clutch pack? Or is it something else?

A: If the hydraulic clutch master cylinder and...

If the hydraulic clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder are bad then it will not push in the clutch pressure plate far enough to allow it to disengage. If the hydraulic system is pushing the pressure in far enough and it is not disengaging, then the pressure plate is bad.

You will need to have the clutch travel tested to see if the hydraulics are moving far enough. A misadjusted clutch pedal or a worn out bushing on the clutch pedal lever are also possibilities for this problem. Have the system checked by a professional mechanic who can check the entire clutch system and measure the clutch travel to see if the problem is with the clutch or hydraulic.