Q: ABS light on even though brakes work fine

asked by on February 10, 2016

The ABS light is on even though the brakes work fine. I once had to apply the brakes hard, the wheels locked up, and there was no grinding sound. At speeds ranging from 13 to 14 MPH, the ABS is not checking the system and is letting out a low metallic sound. While driving, I can also hear a rhythmic metallic noise. When I put it into reverse, there is a loud clanking sound and the car vibrates while in motion.

The most likely failure is the rear end is having problems with internal bearings of the pinion gear. The noise you hear is the gears clashing in the rear end due to the bearings in the pinion gear. The ASB light is most likely coming on from the rear axle sensor that is mounted in the rear axle assembly is either damaged or covered in metal from the rear end grind of the bearings and gears. I recommend having a mechanic, inspect your issue with the ABS Light and verify if any work or replacement needs to be done.