Q: There is a leak around the thermostat housing which resulted in decreasing water in the radiator

asked by on October 16, 2016

There is a leak around the thermostat housing which resulted in decreasing water in the radiator

Hi there. First thing we need to determine is from where on the housing is the coolant leaking. If it is coming from the thermostat location in the housing, it could simply be a thermostat gasket/O-ring leaking. If the leak is coming from any of the hoses, the leaking hose and clamp will need to be replaced. However, if the leak is coming from where the housing is mounted, the housing and/or housing gasket has failed. A cooling system pressure test would uncover the leak location. Decreased coolant in the cooling system can result in overheating and possible engine damage. If you need to have this checked, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the leak and move forward with any repairs.