Q: My car won't start.

The problems the car was having prior to breaking down was the fuel gauge was extremely inaccurate and fluctuated greately. The day the car broke down I had gotten home from work and decided to run to the store. I started my car and the low fuel light came on, I immediately (1/2 away) filled up my tank at the nearest station. The car took 11 gallons, of an 18 gallon tank- no where near empty. I drive to Wally World about 6 miles away, car makes it to the parking lot and then I completely lose power steering, breaks, and the ability to accelerate the vehicle while driving but keep in mind I still have my lights, radio, ability to roll the window up and run ac. We tried jumping it, we tried restarting it- nothing. It would barely start then die. Had it towed to the apartment and today I replaced the fuel filter. A rock fell out of the fuel filter and assumed that's what was blocking the fuel. After installing new filter the car started briefly started and stayed running for a minute

It sounds as if you may have two separate issues related to the fuel system going on here. The fuel gauge may be inaccurate; this is caused by the fuel sending unit, which is a unit inside the fuel tank that may not be working properly. This may indicate why the car only took 11 out of 18 gallons when the low fuel light was on indicating that the tank may have had more fuel in it than what the gauge indicated. The rock in the fuel filter will definitely also cause a fuel pressure blockage and can cause the car to stall. A YourMechanic certified technician can be dispatched to your location to inspect your issues with your fuel tank and your vehicle not starting and suggest any repairs necessary.

3. My car won't start.