Q: Screeching when pressing clutch pedal in first and reverse

asked by on March 22, 2016

My jeep makes a screeching sound whenever I press the clutch pedal in first gear and reverse. I believe the throwout bearing is going bad. The last time I drove it, it was hard to get into first and second gear. I think I need to replace the entire clutch.

Hello! Your description sounds exactly like the symptoms of a bad throw out bearing or clutch. The clutch and throwout bearing usually go bad around the same time. That is why most clutch kits come with a new throw out bearing. If you get a new clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing that will likely fix your problem. The flywheel may need replacement as well,but the flywheel can only be measured and inspected once the clutch is removed,because the flywheel is behind the clutch. I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come and inspect the loud noise that occurs when you use the clutch.