Q: Car jerks when shifting into reverse gear

This doesn’t happen all the time, but sometimes when parking and I put my car into Reverse, it jolts/jerks. My car drives in reverse with no problems, but using the gear shift for Reverse is when it happens. Another difficulty is when I accelerate, the car does not normally increase speed until I have reached over 30 mph. Also when in Drive it’s the only one gear that never upshifts or downshifts. I’m thinking this means my car is in limp mode. What needs to be done to repair my car?

I think you are correct - the transmission is in "limp" mode. Have a professional mechanic check for problem codes to indicate what the fault might be. This is an important "next step" because that problem may not be with the transmission, but rather an engine management component. A YourMechanic professional can help with diagnosis of the code and proper repair of the issue.