Q: Car won't start even after replacing the battery

asked by on May 20, 2016

I had to fly to California to help my sick mom. My car was in my driveway for nearly 3 weeks and I forgot to have a friend drive it, so naturally now it won't start. Yes, I jumped the car and drove it a while to recharge the battery. But the next day, it wouldn't start at all. The mechanic installed a new battery - but still Won't Start!! Please tell me what to do.

It depends on the nature of the no start. If the vehicle is not cranking, then the battery charge level needs to be checked. If the battery is dead then you likely have a parasitic draw taking the battery charge level down. If the electrical system is dead, there is a 100A battery fuse in the engine compartment fusebox. This fuse can blow from an arc or not clean connection when the battery was replaced. If the vehicle cranks but does not start, then you will have to start looking at the engine control system, like fault codes that need to checked and corrected. Fuel pressure and spark plugs will need to be looked at as well. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the training and expertise to diagnose the engine electrical system.