Q: 22-gallon tank will only fill to 10 gallons

I was at the gas station the first time I noticed the following problem. The fuel gauge was showing that my SUV was almost empty. It has a 22-gallon tank; however, the pump stopped at 10 gallons and it would not take any more gasoline. This was the first time I had this trouble and since this started, the SUV will only take 10-12 gallons of gas at a time. I reset the trip meter to zero each time I fill up the tank. My SUV gets approx. 18 mpg. It previously would only have to be filled up at around every 330 miles on the trip meter. One day the low fuel light was on when I got into the vehicle. It had previously been driven 216 miles. The needle came up to ½ tank and then sank back down to empty. The range of miles display that shows how many miles until needing gas, started quickly ticking down the miles. This has been happening multiple times. When I get near 216 miles, I stop for gasoline. There is no stalling or any problem like that. I have never run out of gasoline. I’m thinking that it is a gas sensor or similar problem. Before I go to the dealership, what is your advice that will properly fix my SUV?

The fuel level sensor may be experiencing a malfunction especially if there have not been any performance concerns. Unfortunately, it is inside the fuel tank and must be removed to examine the contacts. This is common among many year models. Have a certified technician test the fuel level sensor and have it repaired accordingly.

3. 22-gallon tank will only fill to 10 gallons