Q: when i start my rav4(1997) the rpm goes high for about 5 min althought that wasnt occur before a period of time ,, what might be t

when I launch my vechile the rpm goes high for about 5 min(2000 rpm) and the car hardly walk (walking on 20mile/hour rpm is 3000) but before that this problem doesn't occur what might be the problem

Hello, thank you for writing in. There are several causes for high idle after starting. The first thing to consider (although it has its limits), is that the engine does need more fuel when cold. This is why all cars have a higher idle after starting. Vacuum and a vacuum leak will have a huge effect on the RPMs. There are a few different tests you can do to find a leak if this is the case. Do a test that you can perform at home with the tools you have. Throttles and idle air control valves/solenoids are also largely responsible for the engine’s performance at idle. You will want to check these components next. It is a process of elimination to find what your issue may be. 2000 RPMs is too high for a starting idle, and there is likely a deeper issue going on.

3. when i start my rav4(1997) the rpm goes high for about 5 min althought that wasnt occur before a period of time ,, what might be t